Tuesday, September 03, 2013

Back to School


Well, it's time to go back to school! Austin started this afternoon with a bar-b-q for the Grade 9s and then an afternoon of classes. Jonah and Sage start tomorrow with their staggered entrances. So, last night, we had our 3rd annual Back To School Feast, which included make your own pizzas, caesar salad, watermelon, mozzarella sticks and a back-to-school cake.

I bought a frame at the thrift store and Cameron painted it off-white for me. Then, he cut me a board to fit in it and painted it with chalk board paint. I've been totally inspired by my friend, Elena's chalkboard wall and thought a nice large chalkboard would be fun to display for special events.



And I took a photo this morning before Austin left for his bbq....


And as usual, we made some treats for the teachers (although Austin said he didn't want to take any this year-- high school students! Sheesh! ;) ) As usual, we made some Butter Crunch to give out (Click here for the recipe.) I dressed up six of the bags with tags using my new PTI Mighty Oak stamp set and cover plate.


I had bought some Studio Calico wood shapes which had a bunch of little apples in them, so I stamped them with one of the leaf images from Might Oak to make them polka-dotted. The sentiment is from Fillable Frames #9.





And Sage wanted to make the tags for her classroom teacher and her music teacher. She paper-pieced the Squirrel from Nuts for You.





Thanks for looking!

12 comments:

Karen C. said...

Love your new chalkboard, Leigh. That's such a great idea!! Sage's squirrel tags are adorable with the little apple. Must try paper piecing with that one. Love the look of the Mighty Oak on the tags too. Hope your kiddos have a great school year.

Alanna said...

Such cute pics of your kids and your gift tags look amazing. Love them!

Elena said...

aw, love the photo of all of them with their back to school cake! so fun, Leigh. And, the tags are all so fantastic! Love the paper piecing that Sage did, and your trees look so cozy. Have a great year, all!

Miriam Prantner said...

These are wonderful! I adore those mighty oak tags!

Linda Nicholson said...

What adorable projects Leigh! Love how you stamped on the chipboard apple and Sage's little paper pieced squirrel's!

Most of all, I love the pictures and traditions. I may have to make a chalkboard too...I like the thought of it as a backdrop telling what the pictures are all about. Also love how the kids show what grade they're going into with their fingers. One of these days, I'm going to give that butter crunch recipe a try too.

Linda

Jennifer K said...

The chalkboard is great. I love Elena's too! Your treats look scrumptious and the tags are just wonderful!

tonyamaries said...

Those apples are cute! Everything is adorable! Love the chalkboard too! My aunt had a wall chalkboard that was 4x6 feet. She would write out special messages and menu's on it for visitors. She was ahead of the trend as this was back in the late 90's! :)

Kara said...

Fun pics!! Love the B2School treats!!

Unknown said...

Such a cute post! Love your chalkboard and treats! Your kids are so cute together!

Joni Andaya said...

Your children are so adorable! You must be a proud Mama. Love the goodies you made Leigh, the tags are fabulous!!!

Kelly Griglione said...

You will definitely not regret taking the time to get a chalkboard frame. I use ours ALL-THE-TIME. Love your chalking : ) The treat bags are just incredible. I'm sure word has gotten out and the teachers are always hoping for one of your kids on their roster!

Geri said...

Great pics of the kids, Leigh! Love those first day photos! The tree/apple tags turned out adorable!!!