Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Inspired at school

A few weeks ago, I was subbing at my daughter's school, in a grade 3/4 classroom. 
I had a bit of time to go to the library to look for some books to read to the class and I found this one:


It was really cute, with wonderful illustrations.
After I was done reading it to the class, I couldn't help but look at it again.
This was after I had ordered my City Scene stamp set from PTI, 
but I hadn't received it in the mail yet. 
I loved how the buildings were stamped tone on tone in the background on the cover and 
thought that this would be fun to replicate in a card.

So, when my City Scene stamp set arrived, I gave it a try...


I stamped the buildings on Harvest Gold cardstock in Harvest Gold ink.
The I stamped the second layer with Summer Sunrise.
For the "character" on the front, I decided to stamp & paper-piece Simon from 
Simon Says Stamps' Stylish Simon stamp set. 
I gave him a pink hoodie, as I was making it for one of my Sunday School students, and she likes pink.
The sentiment is from Mama Elephant Type It.

Thanks for looking!

17 comments:

Karen C. said...

Your card is a great combination of colours from the story book cover!! Cute puppy with the pink hoodie, too.

Sherrie M. said...

Such a cute card! L ove how you translated your inspiration from the book cover.

Elena said...

I love seeing how different crafters are inspired. That is so cool!

Miriam Prantner said...

So cute! Love how you used that inspiration piece, the pink sweatshirt is so fun!

Alanna said...

What a fabulous card and I just love where you got your inspiration from.

Scrappin4kim(Jennifer) said...

It's amazing where we find inspiration. Love it and I think I need to get Simon!!

Lisa Elton said...

I LOVE they way you found inspiration for your new stamps!! This is a fabulous card Leigh!

Michelle said...

Wow! This is amazing. I love the stamped background. Beautifully done!

Joni Andaya said...

Very CUTE!!! Love the sweater :)

Lynn said...

I love how the book inspired you! Adorable card.

Laurie said...

Yay! Did you get this simon set? He is so totally cute and I love the card! What a fun background!

Unknown said...

This card is soooooo fabulous! Totally makes me smile! Love it!

Sherri said...

You are a stamper extraordinaire Leigh. Your card turned out awesome. Great inspo piece in more ways than one.

merryf said...

You inspire me every day! I love how simple this is and how amazing and trendy it looks. And now I feel like I gotta get that City Scene set.

Jen W. said...

Brilliant! Love the tone on tone buildings and the awesome jacket for that cutie pie doggie!

Vikki H said...

stunning in its simplicity & charm!

Lindsey said...

What a fantastic use of your city stamps and I LOVE where your inspiration came from. I've been inspired a handful of times from my son's books as well. :)